Allergy Friendly, Healthy & Delicious Apple Crisp guilt-free
(grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free, vegan, paleo)
Have you discovered that you are allergic or intolerant to all the “good tasting food” and are feeling left out from amazing satisfying desserts? I hear you! I thought that we were stuck with a lifetime of only eating crumbly, tasteless gluten-free cookies (yuck).
Not so! With a little research and experimentation I have made for my family a delicious, satisfying apple crisp that actually worked with ALL of our allergies (we have several combined)!
This apple crisp is grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free, vegan and paleo. My husband and I have different allergies and combined, the list is long. It’s always a challenge to create a dish that we can BOTH enjoy and that our young kids will also like.
Thankfully in this day and age, going gluten/grain free is easier because a lot of great substitutes have come out. However, my husband is allergic to most nuts and rice. Most substitutes are made with nuts or rice in the gluten-free world. Recently we discovered that WALNUTS are not actually a nut! They are actually the seeds of drupes and those who are allergic to “nuts” are generally ok with walnuts. The same goes for coconuts. Once I found that out, I was so thankful to have something to work with! This recipe will be based on using alternatives of walnuts and coconut flour. If you are not allergic to other nuts and flours and would prefer to use alternatives (like almond or cashew) go for it! =)
Guilt-Free Apple Crisp that is Allergy Friendly, Healthy, and Delicious
- 1/4 lemon juice of
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- pinch salt
- 1 Tbsp honey or maple syrup (optional if you like extra sweet)
- 4 cups chopped apples about 3 medium apples | peeling them is optional
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup chopped or ground walnuts
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp honey or maple syrup (optional if you like extra sweet)
- pinch salt
- 1 scoop Dairy-Free Vanilla Ice Cream My current favorite brand is "screaming brothers"… no affiliation with them, just wanted to share that their coconut milk ice cream is the creamiest I've tasted!
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) *and get out a 9"x6"oval baking dish (or other similar sized dish) *If it’s summer/hot and you have a toaster oven… use it! I purposefully made this recipe to fit in my little oval baking dish so that it would fit perfectly in the toaster oven and not heat up the house. Otherwise double everything to make a larger batch for the oven.
- Mix the lemon juice, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and maple syrup or honey (optional) together in a large bowl.
- Peel, core and chop the apples into small chunks. Place the apples in the filling mixture and stir with a spatula(silicone if you have one) until the apples are well coated in the mixture. Place in your baking dish.
- Grind the walnuts in a good blender or food processor a few times until they're in little chunks or continue if you’d like it to be fully ground. Stir the nuts into the topping mixture.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the coconut flour, cinnamon and walnuts. Add the coconut oil, salt and if desired (optional) honey or maple syrup. Mix well.
- Spread the topping mixture evenly over the filling in the baking dish
- Add another dash of cinnamon on top.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until the topping is brown, crisp and the apples are bubbling and soft inside. Tip: Cover the crisp with foil for the first 35 min and remove for the last 10-15 minutes to brown the topping.
- Let cool for 10 minutes, scoop some delicious dairy-free vanilla ice cream on top and serve immediately.